Friday 17 April 2009

Sports in Japan

On Wednesday I had the pleasure to watch the Hanshin Tigers playing against the Chunichi Dragons. Hanshin Tigers are Osakas home team for baseball. I am from Sweden, so the biggest sport in Sweden (and the rest of Europe) is with out a doubt, soccer. So this was very exciting for me. I realised early when I was on my way to the train that this was going to be something very special.

I don't have a lot of experience of going to a baseball game before, so I was amazed of how all people who went to the game had some kind of items that supports the teams. The picture below is just one of many item shops that sells these two small hollow bats which are for banging together so you can make a loud sound. These items were used more than I realised.


It might be hard to see on the picture below, but the things I want to focus on is the balloons. On every game, when it's during the 7th inn in the crowd blows up their balloon and then release them simultaneously which resulted in a beautiful show of balloons flying in the air. It was quite the experience. The whole experience made me think how big baseball is in Japan.

How come baseball is so big in Japan? Japan is the ultimate sport in Japan. What comes to mind is about this documentary - The Japanese Version where they discuss about how America got it all wrong when it comes to Western movies. It is not about be alone and fighting people, it is about being together as a group and working together. I think they have the same view when it comes to baseball. Because every player on the time makes a difference, and with one player missing, this would make a big difference. That is why I think the game is so popular, it is about teamwork, playing for a city and being part of something big. When I went to the game, they have different chants for each player, and even though the team was losing, this didn't affect the cheering. Because in the end it is all about showing ur affection for the team, and being part of something that you can be part of. It doesn't matter if you are a fan or a player, everybody can join in. And that is why I will keep rooting for the Hanshin Tigers.
/Quangus

1 comment:

visual gonthros said...

That's right - it is almost as if the fans are part of the team. If the team is doing poorly, you don't give up - you cheer harder. Go Tigers!